It Doesn’t Have To Be Perfect

lady Rowing

“I broke down and bought a cookie with my lunch yesterday. Told my personal trainer, I was so mad at myself. I figured the whole day would be a write off at that point, so I ended up having ice cream after dinner, too.”

“I was a little loose with my nutrition over the weekend, with a birthday party on Saturday. I didn’t end up doing my workout on Sunday because I decided to take the whole weekend off, with the party and all.”

Comments like these are very frustrating to hear from clients. They work hard and see results, yet all of a sudden, it seems like everything gets thrown out the window because of one little incident. They gave in just a little, so they might as well give up altogether.

It doesn’t have to be this way. I know it. You know it. But, somehow, they don’t.

There are two ways to go about it when faced with a situation like this. You can either laugh, shrug it off and continue with the workout. Or, you can face it head on and talk to them about it. A good trainer will do the latter.

When addressing the issue of a perceived setback, it is important to not show disappointment. They know they screwed up and they’re probably already disappointed in themselves. Acknowledge that what they did probably wasn’t the best choice, but let them know that it wasn’t the end of the world. It happens to everyone.

You can refer to the 80/20 rule. As long as you stick to a healthy diet 80% of the time, it is perfectly fine to indulge a little the other 20% of the time.

In the grand scheme of things, a cookie and some ice cream really isn’t a big deal. To make up for this 20%, this individual may have to be extra cautious in her decision making for the next few days. In the second example, a whole weekend off is a comparatively bigger 20%, so he may have to be on his best behavior for at least a week.

For long-term weight maintenance to occur, you have to allow some flexibility. Strict diets may work in the short term, but we have to teach our clients to work within their current lifestyle to achieve and maintain the results they want.

Sign up for our free 5 day mini course